Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Placements

We've been told to expect ever-changing schedules, even to the last minute, and one key to a successful year in Korea is to be flexible. Although true, this was just a segway to tell us that the placement ceremony would 24 hours earlier than planned. Placements were announced yesterday. The placement ceremony is quite formal. Everyone dressed up, we all filed into a lecture hall, and one-by one were given our placements. Program director Ms. Shim came from Seoul to announce the placements with the OCs. Placements were announced by province. Each ETA in the province went on stage, took a picture with their province buddies, and then placed a post-it with their name on their city on a map of South Korea.

Remember my placement preference form?


My province was announced last; I had to watch everyone else go up. I think the hardest part was knowing that I (probably) wouldn't be near those people. My placement: an all-girls middle school in Seogwipo on Jeju-do.



This map is quite intimidating--it's huge! We felt all spread out and so far away. I haven't yet gotten a feel for how big South Korea is, but I know it's not as big as Texas. To give you a better reference, especially for my fellow Texans:


Jeju-do is South Korea's most southern point. According to my Korean travel book, I'll be living on a volcanic island surrounded by palm trees, orange orchards, pineapple plants, and tangerine groves. Ubiquitous fruit is especially important to me.

Yonsei day (meeting principal, vice-principal, and co-teacher at Yonsei University) is two weeks from last Monday. After that, I'll be flying to Jeju-do with 7 other ETAs, 3 of which are also in Seogwipo. (Fulbright makes sure we're not alone--they certainly care about our mental health.)

서귀포 제주도 = sah-gwee-po jeh-joo-do = Seogwipo Jeju-do!

School: 서귀중앙 여자중학규 = Seogwi Jungang Girls Middle School (575 students)
Address: 697-070 제주특별자치도 서귀포시 중앙로 175

No comments:

Post a Comment