Friday, July 24, 2009

Placement Preference Form

The weather in Chuncheon is beautiful right now...clear skies, sun, and 70ºF. Perfect for ultimate. The mountians surrounding Chuncheon are actually visible.

Orientation is already half over--three weeks already! In another three weeks, I'll be moving to my placement. Placement Preference forms were due yesterday. I thought I'd post my preferences now and then compare them to my actual placement (announced Aug. 5th). This is a ranking (1 being the highest) form for aspects like location size, student gender, school size, etc. I can simply voice my preferences and what's important to me; I have no control over my placement. The Fulbright office takes my form and decides the rest.


School size: 1) 100-500; 2) 501-1000; 3) greater than 1000; 4) less than 100
The less students the better.

School type: 1) middle school; 2) high school
I don't want stressed out students. High school students study/are in school up to 15 hrs a day. I'd prefer the more relaxed, younger middle schoolers. Side note: the most common operation in Korea is for hemorroids, because they're sitting in class so much.

Student gender: 1) co-ed; no preference for male or female
I'd prefer to teach both boys and girls, but that might not happen. Co-ed means that the school is co-ed, classes still maybe single sex.

Religious Affiliation: (willing to work at...) Buddhist-affiliated school-Yes, Catholic or Protestant-affiliated school-No
Self-explanatory.

Location Size: 1) Suburban = 100,000-500,000; 2) Rural = less than 100,000; 3) Urban = greather the 500,000
Korea's extremely dense, so suburban to me (or the average American) could easily seem urban. I'm okay with a 500,000 population max.

Environment: 1) Island (Jeju-do); no preference coastal, inland, or mountainous
I've talked to some former ETAs about Jeju-do, Korea's Hawaii. The island is beautiful, culturally relaxed from Korea, and is complementary to an active lifestyle.

Resource Availability: 1) Ease of transportation; 2) near other ETAs; 3) traditional/historical area

Placements announced Aug 5th--stayed tooned!


No comments:

Post a Comment