Thursday, October 1, 2009

Swine Flu Update

Two Saturdays ago (the 19th) the swine flu, here called influenza, hit home. As I was coming back from a short morning expedition around Seogwipo, I hit the stream of students leaving from Saturday class. They told me, 2 students have swine flu.

More news on Tuesday. As I was going to lunch with the students for English lunch table, one girl told me to not breath, then grabbed my wrist to hurry me past classroom 1-4 like they had the plague. In a sense they do; I had class 1-4 (grade 1 class 4) in the afternoon. 8 students (out of 40) in that class had the flu. I used this to discuss, in English, ways to prevent the flu.

Talking to the school nurse on Wednesday. She tells me that yes, 8 students in 1-4 have the flu. Also, 1 more first grader and 3 third graders have the flu. Total 12 students.

This past week, bottles filled with disinfectant (I'm sure it's an ethanol mix), appeared in every classroom and in the teacher's office. The attendant at HomePlus (like a SuperTarget) is also spraying the shopper's hands. I haven't heard of any more students; I think the excitement is dying down...

No comments:

Post a Comment