Monday, October 26, 2009

Speaking Test

The last two weeks, I administered a speaking test to my middle school third graders (9th grade equivalent). When one of my co-teachers informed me of the test (he handed me the questions), I thought this would be a dull, boring, very uninteresting experience. Instead, I liked it. I didn't have to lesson plan, I got to talk to students one-on-one, and I heard some very interesting answers. After asking all the students (almost 200), I saw some trends. Some answers were serious and thoughtful, others were funny and/or fake. All that mattered was that the English was good. Most girls had a prepared answer ready to spit out, so it wasn't necessarily conversational..

My grading scale:
A=good grammar, good vocabulary, can converse about answer
B=sentences with mostly good grammar, but short answer
C=sentences with bad grammar
D=words no sentences
F=no English at all

1. What is the most important thing in your life?
Typical: My family, they give me energy/love/power. My health. Money.
Scripted answer: Health, because health can't be bought by money.

2. What type of man do you want to marry?
Typical:Tall handsome man with many moneys.
Thoughtful: A many that really loves me.
Amusing: I want to marry [insert TVXQ, Big Bang, 2PM, Shinee popstar name here]! For example...(look at picture teacher!).
Ambitious: Shinee. (Which one?) All.

3. I want to be healthy. What should I do?
Typical: Exercise everyday.
Questionable: Go to hospital and eat medicine. Hula hoop.

4. Please tell me about the President of Korea.
Typical: Bad.
Thoughtful: He has made bad decisions, but we elected him....
Scripted answer: His name is 이명박. He was a mayor of Seoul before he was elected. He make students tired. He made so many tests. He is interested in English.
Scripted answer 2: Korea president is 이명박, and he is bad for students because he made bad rules about education.

5. Please tell me about your homeroom teacher.
Amusing: Ancient like grandmother. Number 1 math teacher by Naver newspaper.
Scripted answer: He is tall, a little fat. but humorous. Whenever we doesn't clean te classroom. He is angry to us. But, definitely he is a good teacher.

6. What is the book which moved you the most? Please tell me about the story.
Thoughtful: Anna's Diary. Midnight Summer's Dream. Obama's Story.
Interesting: Cinderella. Twilight--Edward is vampire, Bella is human, they are love. Harry Potter.
A+: student talked about symbolism and sacrifice

7. Which country do you want to visit the most? Why?
Typical: China for Chinese food. Japan for anime.
Thoughtful: Kenya to see animals.
Amusing: USA to see Statue of Liberty and Las Vegas "bling bling".
Scripted answer: I want to go to England. Because I love Harry Potter, I really want to see a train station. I heard there is a board on the wall "Don't run into the wall." Because in the book and movie, Harry run into the wall. That is so funny.

8. Who do you respect the most?
Thoughtful: My father. My mother; she is good at cooking. Han BiYa of World Vision organization.
Suck-up: Foreign teachers.
Self-centered: Me.
Scripted answer: I respect my science academy teacher. He is very clever. I want to get his knowledge, but I don't want to resemble his personality. I envy his brain.

9. What do you think of wearing school uniforms?
Typical: Good, saves money. Bad, ugly colors. Good, pretty colors.
Interesting: Harmonious. Looks like sweet potatoes.
Very interesting: (story, told by different students) Ugly colors, looks like fire ants. At picnic (last year), a fat student (different school) called us fire ants. Almost fought, but not me.

10. What do you want to be when you grow up?
(all) Interesting: Teacher. Interior design. President's body guard, it's meaningful. Architect. Diplomat. Fashion CEO. CEO assistant (me: not CEO? student: too hard). Doctor, want to work with doctors without borders. CSI agent.
If a student answered teacher, I asked what school. If the student said middle school, I said "Really? Middle school students are difficult....". Some students caught the joke...

11. What do you do with your free time?
Typical: Listen to music. Play computer games. Watch TV.
Interesting: Study math. Read the newspaper. Walking. Eye shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment