Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Korean food (음식) part 1

Solar eclipse: I saw pictures of it after it happened from the NYTimes, but didn't get to see it myself. None of the ETAs knew about it, the OCs didn't mention it, and we in Korean class and didn't have a chance to see it. Not happy.

Food-->It's been 2 1/2 weeks in Korea, and I've had approximately 45 Korean meals, 80% of them being from the cafeteria. This has been only a mild introduction in Korean food; however, there's lots to blog about. In terms of quality, Korean cafeteria food is just as good as American cafeteria food. The consolation: Korean food will be infinitely better once we're in our homestays eating homecooked food.

The cafeteria routine:
1. Sterilize hands with ethanol sprayer
2. Take tray and bowl (both tin)
3. Be served rationed dish(es), usually meat and fruits
4. Serve self unrationed dishes: rice, kimchi, cooked vegetables, and soup
5. Grab spoon and chopsticks
6. Eat

Meals in the cafeteria are pretty consistent. I've taken a particular liking to kimchi (김치) and variations thereof (pickled cucumbers or radishes instead of cabbage); the spice tends to freshen/cleanse my palette, so I eat the kimchi first. Then the meat dish, then rice, and, on a good day, a slice of fruit (spicy --> not spicy --> sweet). I tend to skip the soup; I don't like the taste. How spicy is Korean food? Nothing that I can't handle, even though I usually unadverturous when it comes to spicy foods (back home). The Korean spicy is less burning than Mexican or Indian spicy.

Notable experiences: baby octopus (intact), fish eggs (in soup), tentacles (octopus, squid)

What I will not eat/don't like: tentacles (don't like the texture), tofu, egg, rice cakes, overcooked vegetables, black noodles
And I will probably straight up refuse sannakji (wiki read why) if ever served.

What I eat a lot of: rice

Tuesday breakfasts are the most anticipated meal of the week, Westen breakfast day. It may not be the typical Western breakfast, but at least it's familar foods. There's usually fruit, bread, a small cold salad, and cream of something soup. The breakfast entrees were spam and an American Single (1st Tuesday), cereal (2nd), and a breakfast casserole. Korean breakfasts aren't different from lunch or dinner: rice, kimchi, meat, soup, and vegetables.



I've eaten out a few times a in Cuncheon. The first time featured dumplings (만두) stuffed with kimchi or vegetables with meat. My favorite so far is patbingsu (팥빙수), but I'm going to save that for another blog. Chuncheon is famous for its dakgalbi (닭갈비), a spicy chicken dish. Besides the chicken, there's also cabbage, sweet potato, scallions, onions, and rice cakes in a chili pepper based sauce. I went with current (09-10) ETAs and a group of former ETAs (08-09). The preparation is sort of a tease. The server plops a bowl of ingredients on the frying pan at your table. Then, over a period of 15-20 minutes, he occasionally stirs it while you wait. Like what's typical at Korean restuarants, everyone eats directly from the center bowl or dish--just grab what you want with your chopsticks (this is a reflection of Korea as a group/sharing culture).

The food during our weekend at Songnisan, since we were mostly eating out, was much better and more traditional than the usual. We met Ms. Shim at a restaurant when we first arrived in Songnisan for lunch. Everyone greeted her, took off their shoes (socks were obligatory), than sat (on the floor) at our table. Everyone had a small bowl of rice and another small bowl, but otherwise an assortment of dishes covered the table. Most were spices and vegetables specific to the Songnisan mountain area, like leaves dipped in a rice batter. No one eats a lot of any one thing, rather a little of everything. Some seafood looks intimidating because its left intact (like the fried fish below), but is actually ok....



Breakfasts at Songnisan were a treat. After two weeks of rice three times a day, even cereal is a treat. We had a small breakfast buffet with cereal, toast, eggs, sausage, toast, mini croissants, and, most importantly, a fruit tray. Of all my meals so far, this is when I definitely overate--enough to last me till 3pm even after a 5hr hike. So far, breakfast foods are what I miss the most: especially the cereal, fruit, yogurt, and bread. The cafeteria doesn't serve enough fruit to satisfy me and there's a serious lack of diary in my new diet. I'm mostly ok, but the vegetarian ETAs aren't doing so well.

There's still so much to write about: life a Kangwon, Korean classes, cultural workshops, food prt 2,...

No comments:

Post a Comment