Sunday, July 12, 2009

Korea (한뭄) Week 1

It's already been a week and this is my first post! The hold-up was the blog name; I want something cathcy, witty, and original. Hangul Howdy is the temp, until I find a better name. If you have any suggestions, feel free!

Things are different here! I've experienced so much in one week that there's no way I'll fit it into this post. Instead, I'll give a skeleton of information today and dedicate later posts to specific topics (food, language classes, Korean etiquette, weather, etc) to fill in details. Again, feel free to to do requests or ask questions.

Right now, I'm at Kangwon National University in Chuncheon (춘천) for orientation. There's 70 Fulbright ETAs (English Teaching Assistants), but I'm the only one from the lonestar state. We're all in a dormitory together, sharing the toilets and showers and eating cafeteria food. Our usual schedule is Korean Language class in the morning (4hrs), lunch, cultural and teaching workshops till 4:30pm, taekwondo 5-6pm, then straight to dinner, lots of studying, and bed---very busy! We get a short break next weekend when we go to Songnisan, a Korean National Park. The schedule gets even busier after that because Camp Fulbright starts. The camp brings in children from schools where past ETAs have been posted to give us the opportunity to practice teaching. And I need the practice!

Today, we're going to see the International Taekwondo Open Championships, which are being held here in Chuncheon, then a teaching workshop in the afternoon, and lots of studying for our Korean test tomorrow. I'm on skype (allen.alicia) if you ever want to talk, just remember I'm 14hrs ahead of central time (GT +8).

Next: TKD or food...

Sunset from my dorm window.





No comments:

Post a Comment