Friday, October 16, 2009

Please give me a gift

I wanted to make sure that my students were using "please" and "thank you" all the time, not just when if fit the dialogue in the book (i.e. "How are you?" is always answered by "I am fine thank you and you.") They know the words, but I wanted to put it into practice. To practice, we had a gift exchange. Every student "made" a gift: on a folded piece of paper, they decorated the front and inside wrote the gift. This was an extremely amusing lesson, both in decoration design and gift selection. Look at what I got!

Typical: MP3-player, Big Bang CD, cake, snack, cookies, candy, money, Big Bang photo book, chocolate, book, pencil, clothes, teddy bear, doll, phone, notebook (these are what we brainstormed on the board together)

Exciting (and unusual) gifts: manicure, Earth, Korea, handsome boy, boy friend, airplane, mansion, dung, my heart, world, beauty, guinea pig, Big Bang (the whole band), SHINee, T.O.P., GDragon, the USA and D-Lite, TVXQ, cheese cake, backpack, touch phone, Korean flag, kiss, Simpsons, piano

Quote Unquote: Delicious Food, Hundreds of MP3 files, apartment in Kang-Nam, I give my heart to you, my lips, big tree, book and boyfriend, Big Bang money, bad luck, I give u NATURE! & HJung JinOWoon

Broken English: Hello cat! (Hello Kitty), snake (snack), puppy dall (puppy dog or puppy doll...?), iPOT (iPod), close cake poppy (clothes, a cake, and a puppy)

Most exciting was a return of the Haptic Magic Diaper, but I lost it or the student took it. And the 'dung' caught me by surprise. I had gotten a couple of dung as gifts, and then at the beginning of class, I asked a student why she was late. Her friend struggled and first said "dung" (me) "bathroom?" (student) "yes, bathroom". How do they know the word for dung before the word for bathroom?

Overall, this was a good lesson. Most of the students were involved and I could get the lower level English students to speak. Also, entertaining! Click the pictures below to see the actual size image.








Hey! This reminds me of a vocab set in my Korean book...


1 comment: