Thursday, August 13, 2009

Korean Language Class (and Graduation)

한국어 수업 = (han-gook su-awb) = Korean Language Class

Since my arrival in Korea on July 5th (6 weeks ago), I've endured 90 hours of Korean language instruction. When I think of what little I knew before arriving (nothing), I impressed. When I think of how little I know, I realize what I long way I have to go!

We started with an assessment test the second day of Orientation--merely a blank page to fill with all the Korean we knew. Mine was blank, so I joined 57 other ETAs in the beginner classes. It was a trip back to elementary school
! We spent the first day just on the alphabet, watching the teacher over enunciate and then trying to mimic the sounds. Prepositions were also fun--we got under our desks, we stood next to our desks, we sat on our desks, etc. The key phrase we learned was "Korean is hard but very fun!"

Our teachers were amazing and fun, but our textbooks ('Fun Fun Korean!') were also entertaining.


1. Front & back cover: Watch out for the Korean tigers that want 떡 (dak = rice), but if
you don't know Korean, no worries, they'll teach you.
"Give me rice cakes and I not eat you!"


2. A Native American in the food section?


3. Transportation-don't forget your phone on the bus!


4. Telephone...why so shady?



6. "Babies are delicious and make me feel happy but are soooooo expensive."
Is there any other possible conversation with all this vocabulary?



So yes...Korean is fun! Korean is also a very melodic language; it was easy to repeat what our teachers said in the same sing-song voice. And that was class, a lot of repetition. But that's the best way to get it to stick! Every Monday we had a short quiz and every night homework to keep us studying. The last Monday of Orientaton was our final: reading, writing, and speaking. The speaking section was an interview, and I learned that my listening skills are bad. The teacher had to ask me several times what my favorite season was before I understood the question. What also threw me off was when she asked me "Where is (your) 방?" means bread and 방 means room. Confusing....

And on Thursday, we graduated! Everyone survived (more importantly passed) Korean language class. Speeches from top students, honors to top students, and skits by every class (slide show to songs & dance to skits of Tom Cruise & Jude Law falling in love with their language partners). Look at class B1 with our diplomas!


No comments:

Post a Comment