Sunday, September 6, 2009

What my 엄마 did to me

엄마 = awm-ma = mom (my homestay mother)

Look what she did!

No, that's not blood. (Although, I've had a couple tumbles and, consequently, have a stronghold on the Korean words for blood, bandaid, nurse, pharmacy, and medicine). No, this is a form of pampering.

She crused dried flower petals and leaves into balsam to apply to my nails. While watching a Korean drama, she first isolated the nail bed with medical tape, put a small bit of the flower/balsam mix on the nail, then wrapped and tied a strip of plastic around my finger tip. And, oh, by the way, don't take these off till you wake up in the morning!

The result:
There were two rounds: Thursday and Friday night. All ten fingers and big toes too. "When the orange goes away, in two months (!), you'll have pretty fingernails."

I'm not quite sure how this works, in fact I'm doubtful. The nail will grow out and be replaced by new fingernail, to which the flower balsam ointment was not applied. I'm thinking it looks pretty by comparison. In the meantime, it looks like one of my sloppier students took a orange marker to my nails (sorry 엄마). Unless the results are beyond fantastic, I don't think I'll be repeating this. Come back for the after after pictures.

Otherwise, in regards to my 엄마, I can't complain. She fits the role of the general Korean 주부 (chu-bu = housewife). Outside the hours she works as an assistant at her husband's construction company, she's cooking, cleaning, and/or doing laundry. She homecooks everything; we haven't eaten out once since I've been here. It's a lot better than the cafeteria food. I do enjoy the good ol' cereal and milk combo every so often, but there's not many chances. She never lets be hungry enough to go searching for my own food.

She's sweet and caring, but our conversations have been limited--she doesn't speak English. She knows a few words and phrases, like "Good morning/night" and "Let's go". We're learning together...

No comments:

Post a Comment